Cocadas - recipe - How to make it - step by step - without baking
Try this easy recipe with no baking!
You have probably already read the post about traditional Portuguese sweets, so you surely know what a cocada is, but just in case, you haven’t managed to do that yet, cocada is a Portuguese sweet, that basis on coconuts and sugar. So how to make cocadas?
500 g freshly shredded coconut (or its equivalent in cups - 2 ½)
1 ½ cups sugar
1 cup water
- take a middle size pot, add sugar and water, mix it
- heat it and bring it to boil
- boil for about 20 minutes without stirring, till the moment the syrup thickens (it is ready if the spoon with the syrup leaves a thick line)
- add shredded coconut and mix it, don’t mix it too much, so that the syrup is not excessively cooled down
- boil without stirring for next 5 minutes on a medium fire
- when the coconut-syrup mixture is soft, remove from the fire
- place the dough in a bowl and leave for next 5 minutes
- in the meantime, oil the baking form or use a silicone one
- take two spoons and start forming cakes, use the first one to get some dough and then cover it with the second one, so that you get an oval-shaped cocada
- so formed cocadas place on the baking tray or in the baking form and leave for 1 hour in a room temperature
- serve directly, when dried (when the crust becomes dry, don’t worry, the inner part is still soft and moist) or keep in a jar for 1 week.